Communication, language and literacy
At Al Bashaer we provide opportunities for all children to talk and communicate in a widening range of situations, to respond to adults and to each other, to practise and extend the range of vocabulary and communication skills they use and to listen carefully. We give all children opportunities to explore, enjoy, learn about and use words and text in a broad range of contexts and to experience a rich variety of books.
* Our emphasis on talking gives the children constant opportunities to speak in small and large groups and we have high expectations of all children so that they have every encouragement to become confident and motivated to share information.
* We praise all efforts at writing from initial mark making through to being able to make accurate attempts at letter formation and some accurate attempts at spelling by focusing on the sounds that letters make (Phonics).
* We read together daily and children gradually start to recognise words using their growing phonic awareness so that many are keen to “read” to the group at story time with some or little adult support.
* We provide opportunities to learn about words and text in different contexts and promote an appreciation and enjoyment of texts.
* We provide a family atmosphere within which each child becomes a valued member .
* We reinforce our simple class rules to provide security and a clear understanding of expected behaviour.
* We promote independence in all aspects of the session.
* We balance noisy activities with quiet moments and we value fun and laughter as key elements of a happy learning environment.